Wednesday, August 29, 2007

On Being One's Self


Last night I began I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith. Never before have I read a book that puts into words the very thoughts I've thought myself, a book that relates to me so nearly and dearly, a book that makes me jump and laugh and dream. I felt elated by finding company in related thought and feeling. As she bathed I did, though she ate chocolate and I raspberries. As she wrote I desired to write. As she reveled in wondering for hours, I wanted more than anything to be even more myself. Am I alone in feeling sometimes as if being oneself is not acceptable? Well today I want to be who I am. Today I want to write and glow . Here's to authenticity!

2 comments:

Ali said...

Remember how when I started it, I had you read the first line because it was written exactly how I would have written it? She sounds familiar. She sounds like the girlfriend next door, full of adventure and life worth writing about. And because she leads such a simple life, it makes me want to also write about my simple life. Or rather, I feel more validity in writing about my simplicities.

I absolutely adore Cassandra.

E. said...

Oh, the beauty! I'm so happy for you two, for finally finding Cassandra for yourselves. The first time I read Capture I was curled into an oversized couch in the twilight shadows of my NZ house, and I can't think of a more glorious feeling.